Tuesday, October 14, 2008

new tidbits


Hello friends!

I would like to use this moment to share some kitchen discoveries I recently made.

I have wanted to try my hand at baking for a while. Until now, I have focused almost exclusively on cooking, which comes more naturally to me through my family heritage (regional foods and traditional cooking have always played a central role in my family). I thought a good place to start would be with the most common American cakes and pastries, such as brownies and chocolate chip cookies. My intent is to find one good recipe I can rely on for each staple food.

My first attempt came after watching an episode on brownies as presented by the Barefoot Contessa on Food Network. I feel this program is a good source of information on traditional American food, more specifically where baking is concerned.

The recipe however, as mentioned on their website, called for the use of a sheet pan. After consulting some of my reference sites, I headed to Williams Sonoma to purchase a heavy gauge aluminum sheet pan as this appeared best suited to the task and came with a no-guilt price tag. The results were amazing: even baking and no burnt bottom. I highly recommend using these pans, as they are very versatile and can be used for roasting as well as many other baking needs.

As for the recipe, I indeed found what I was looking for! With my staple brownie recipe and all-purpose sheet pan in hand, I ventured into new waters with a chocolate chip cookie recipe from the King Arthur Flour website. Again a resounding success, judging from the reactions of my all-too-willing and yet brutally honest, in-house connoisseurs.

That’s it for now. Stay tuned for more adventures to come!

FLORENCE

No comments:

Post a Comment